Fleas are a common pest that irritates both humans and pets. Although they are very similar to ticks, fleas are more likely to create a serious infestation in a house. They are painful pests to deal with, for both you and any furry pets you may have. If left untreated for any length of time, the problem will get much worse and will require more time, effort and money to fully eradicate them.
Similarities Between Fleas and Ticks
As much as we want to cuddle with our pets because of their fur, they can also be hiding nasty bugs: fleas and ticks. Fleas and tick are similar in a couple ways:
- Pet’s blood is their source of food.
- Both can transmit diseases to humans and pets.
- Cause red, irritated skin.
- Bite can result in an adverse skin reaction.
What is the difference between the two?
- Fleas are known to jump from one host to another. They can go from pets to humans, humans to pets, and pets/humans to furniture.
- Ticks have only one host. Fleas can attach to different hosts in their lifespan. Rodents, rabbits, deer, or house pets. Ticks, however, stay on one host until they die.
- Weather environment. Both can survive in warmer environments, but ticks prefer a cooler climate.
- Infestation on properties. Fleas can survive even without blood because when they fall from their host, they can eat debris as a substitute for blood.
- Diseases. Skin allergies and tapeworms are carried and distributed by fleas. Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme diseases are caused by infected ticks.
How To Avoid A Flea Infestation
There are numerous DIY solutions found online to avoid fleas. As a pest expert, here is our advice to keep your home flea-free.
- Check your pets routinely. Wash them regularly and ensure they get their vitamins and eat healthy food.
- Trim your grass. A clean yard can lessen the chance of attracting stray/wild animals. These animals are mostly the target of fleas and can end up transferring them to your lawn.
- Vacuum regularly. Pet beds, carpets, sofas, and beds can attract fleas on it. When vacuuming while fleas are present, it is best to throw away the vacuum bag outside so that fleas won’t be able to climb out of it and back into your home.
- Call Our Boca Raton Exterminators. Fleas are very hard to spot because they are tiny and move quickly. Have a pest expert exterminate them for you so that you will be safe from flea bites and house infestation.
Whatever concerns you may have relating to pests, don’t wait, call us today. Many clients seek professional advice because most pest solutions that can be bought over the counter never work and are just a waste of money.
We make sure that we stay within your budget, while still eliminating the pests that you want out of your home. It is safe to say that our expert team of Boca Raton pest control techs are what make us the most experienced exterminators in the Palm Beach County area.
Give us a call today at (424) 219-7800. We will help you get your home back.