North America is home to around 16,000 fly species. The life span of flies can vary from 7 days to 2 months, depending on what type of fly it is.
Flies can carry bacteria that can be passed on to your food or furniture when they walk or land. They gather these diseases by landing on different things like dumpsters, animal dung, and rotten food.
From there, flies may land on clean, sanitized areas or food and spread the bacteria. To prevent flies it is best to keep your home clean and store away food in a sealed container.
What Illnesses Can Flies Transmit?
- food poisoning
- E. coli
- typhoid fever
- eye infections
If you see flies landing on food that you are eating, be sure to watch for symptoms of these illnesses. Before putting anything in your mouth that has been sitting out, check the food for a white or yellow spiky soft substance. These are fly eggs. Be sure to throw out any food that you think you see fly eggs on. It is better to be safe than sorry.
How did I get a fly infestation?
Flies are common in every environment. But having too many will make you wonder where these came from.
- Rotting materials. Most people fail to regularly check expiration dates of foods. So they might not be aware of an expired food item that needs to be thrown away. It is best to check weekly or monthly to see if there is any food in your cabinets or fridge that need to be thrown away.
- Animal feces. Have a pet at home? It is normal to have their dung in the yard. But if you don’t remove it this can attract a large amount of flies and can lead to an infestation.
- Manure. Gardeners use different kinds of fertilizer especially natural ones because it gives more nutrients to the plants or vegetation crops. But this can also attract flies.
- Grass clippings or leaves. It is best to throw away decaying leaves and grass and not to let them pile them up. Flies can also make a nest in a mound of grass or leaves and start to swarm your home.
- Dirty dishes. Sometimes our laziness get the best of us and we don’t wash dirty dishes immediately. Leaving dirty dishes in the sink can attract flies and within just a few days they can start to multiply.
- Bright lights at night. Do you experience flies at night? Some flies are attracted to light so be sure to turn off lights when they are not in use. This saves electricity too!
- Exposed food. Make sure before going to bed or after you eat to store your leftover food. If you don’t, the next thing you know you will have a flies all over your home.
How do I get rid of flies?
While there are many DIY solutions online to get rid of flies, it is best to get an expert’s advice when dealing with this kind of pest. DIY solutions take a long time and could end up costing more, sometimes not even working.
You can reach Superior Boca Raton Exterminator at (561) 277-3335 and we can discuss the type of pest problem you are currently dealing with. You will not regret calling us as we will give you free advice, a free quote and if you would like to get rid of your pest quickly, we can schedule a visit to come up with the best solution for your problem.
Call us today to get your home back today!